Basic Literacy Program Internships
Posted: 7/23/2014 2:34 PM
Department: Adult Basic Education (ABE)
Salary Range: Successful interns receive $500 as well as a letter of recommendation from Literacy Network
We are recruiting interns to oversee our Basic Literacy (SCALE) program sessions these semesters:
- For Summer 2018, apply before April 15
- Training will be May 22-23
- Summer semester is June 4-Aug 25
- For Fall 2018, apply before July 29
- Training will be the evenings of Sept 4-5
- Fall semester is Sept 17-Dec 15
- For Spring 2019, apply before November 18
- Training dates TBA
- Spring semester is Jan -May
This internship is a great way to sharpen your managerial, organizational and communication skills while helping those in need. Interns manage our Skills in Computers and Literacy for Employment (SCALE) program, which provides one-to-one tutoring for adults hoping to build basic writing, reading, computer literacy, and employability skills. Lessons will offer direct instruction in literacy, computers and ongoing development of a career portfolio. We hire interns for each of the following sessions (be sure to indicate for which you are applying):
- Tuesday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Hawthorne Library (2707 E. Washington Ave.)
- Tuesday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Seven Oaks (1108 Moorland Rd)
- Wednesday mornings, 10:30am-12:30pm at Goodman South Library (2222 S. Park St.)
- Thursday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Literacy Network (701 Dane St)
- Thursday nights, 6:00-8:00pm at Meadowridge Library (5726 Raymond Rd)
Qualifications and Commitment
- Write eight personalized, meaningful, goal-based lesson plans for each student. Lessons will be delivered by volunteer tutors and will focus on computer skills and reading comprehension. Lessons will develop career-oriented goals, writing for communication and development of a career portfolio.
- Make reminder phone calls to students.
- Provide support for volunteer tutors during lessons.
- Tutor adult literacy students individually when needed.
- Collect accurate and timely data related to the SCALE program.
- Manage the tutoring site (arrange room, set up computer workstations, return materials to library after session).
- Provide computer technology assistance when needed.
- Maintain learners' employment portfolios.
- Ideal interns will have experience and/or training in lesson planning and instruction for adult learners. Interns must be able to teach basic computer skills in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, internet and email.
- Attend Intern Training
- Commit to working 8-10 hours weekly (no absences) the entire semester
- Attendance at all weekly sessions over the semester are required, with 6-8 additional hours each week creating lesson plans at Literacy Network.
If interested and qualified please submit your cover letter & resume submit using the form below or mail to the address listed below. Your cover letter must:
- Include your name and address
- Be formatted like a formal business letter
- Indicate the program you are applying for, including which weekly session(s) within that program (you'd be assigned only one)
- Outline how your relevant experience/skills will benefit our program (reference the required skills that are listed in our position description so you know which are relevant)
Ms. Shawn Steen
701 Dane St
Madison WI 53713